with tempeh (vegan)
- 2 baking trays
- Double boiler
- 2 small bowls
- 1 medium bowl
- Parchment paper
3 kg (24 cups) broccoli, cut into small florets
1200 g (16 cups) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly slice
3 cups (750 mL) coconut oil, melted
2 ½ tsp sea salt, divided
3 cups turmeric root, grated
1 ½ tsp black pepper
3 kg (18 cups) tempeh or tofu, diced into ¼ inch cubes
3 cups (510 g) steel cut oats, ground
3 cups (430 g) ground flaxseeds
3 kg (15 cups) watercress, cut into bite sized pieces and kept cold
3 cups (300 g) dried unsweetened mangoes, cut into ¼ inch cubes
2 bunches (240 g) cilantro, stems removed and leaves separated
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Using a double boiler, steam broccoli for about 10 minutes or until florets are semi soft. Toss with 3/4 tsp of sea salt and set aside to cool.
3. In a small bowl, toss together mushrooms with 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil until evenly coated. Distribute as a single layer onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until brown and crispy.
4. In a medium bowl, add the remaining coconut oil, tempeh, turmeric, black pepper, and ¾ tsp salt. Set aside in a warm location to marinate, 15 minutes.
5. In a small bowl combine ground oats, ground flaxseed, and remaining salt. Roll the marinated tempeh into the oat-flaxseed mixture until completely coated.
6. Evenly distribute tempeh onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with remaining marinade and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Salad assembly: 2 cups of watercress, topped with 1 cup of florets and 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms. Add 15 tempeh pieces. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of dried mangoes and a handful of cilantro leaves. Toss together in vinaigrette, until evenly coated. Serve immediately.