Scotiabank Marathon 2020
Virtually Run or Walk for Gilda's Club
Your Virtual Race can take place between October 1st - 31st and you have up to 1 month to submit your results.
Your participation will help Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto raise $65,000 to ensure that no one faces cancer alone when physical distancing is required. By helping to raise $65,000, you ensure our members are still able to participate in online cancer support groups, exercise classes, nutrition showcases and other programs that are essential for their wellbeing.
Scotiabank continues to absorb credit card fees so 100% of all donations go directly to Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto. In addition, when you commit to raising $500 in support of Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto and register BEFORE September 21, 2020, should you choose, Gilda’s Club will cover the cost of your registration fee by providing you with a unique code. We hope you will join the team and make this the best race year yet!
If you cannot participate this year and would still like to make a donation to the Gilda’s Club team page, please CLICK HERE.
Please follow the details below to register for the virtual run. We are grateful for your support & participation & look forward to working with you.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE APPLICATION IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS AS IT WILL TIME OUT.
PART 1: VIRTUAL RUN/WALK REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Go to https://raceroster.com/27138?aff=W9TDZ (YOU MUST USE THIS REFERRAL LINK so that Gilda’s Club gets a donation back from Scotiabank for each registrant).
2. Select your distance and follow the prompts afterwards to register – you’ll need your email address and then it will ask you if you have a Race Roster password. You do if you have participated before and if you haven’t participated in the past, you can create a password.
3. This year, recognizing the financial impact COVID-19 has had on many people, should you choose, Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto will cover your registration fee. You are eligible to receive the free registration code if you commit to raise a minimum of $500 and you register by September 21, 2020. A code will be provided by Elana or Mohamed at 416-214-9898 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
4. Fill out the required fields.
5. Select the app you will use to record your runtime, this is your virtual run platform. Your choices are: Map My Run, Strava, Nike Run, Run Keeper, or Wearable GPS device. Or select NONE to add your time manually on the Race Roster website once you have completed your run walk anytime in the month of October:
• Map My Run – A tracking app created by Under Armour. It gives you pace, stride length, and cadence, plus get personalized coaching tips along the way. It’s available on your phone’s app store.
• Strava – This app allows you record track distance and calories burned. It will map your route and provide training challenges. This app is available on your phone’s app store.
• Nike Run – Allows you to record distance and maps your route. It will provide exercise/running challenges as well. It’ll be available on your phone’s app store.
• RunKeeper – This app lets you pace, measure workout distance, chart weight loss, crush training goals. It’ll be available on your phone’s app store.
• Wearable GPS (Garmin, Suunto, Polar, Fitbit, Apple Watch) – These devices can be used to track your activity, be it walking or running.
• If you choose not to use these apps or devices, you can manually enter your results on your fundraising page by going to the Dashboard.
6. It will ask how you heard about the run: Select AFFILIATED CHARITY from the drop down menu and specify Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto.
7. ADD REGISTRANT to a TEAM? Please select the 3rd and final option - YES, add this registrant to a team created by someone else and then select Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto from the dropdown list of charities. If you are joining a sub-team within Gilda’s Club, you are to look for Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto – the sub-team name.
8. You have the option of having your medal mailed to you. If you live outside of the Greater Toronto Area, there will be additional charges for mailing.
9. Select your souvenir t-shirt and size.
10. Enter the Promo Code (provided by Elana or Mohamed) where indicated – To get this free registration code, you must commit to raising a minimum of $500 or make a donation yourself for the difference, AND you must register no later than September 21, 2020.
HOW TO MODIFY AND SEND OUT YOUR FUNDRAISING PAGE:
1) Go to www.RaceRoster.com and login with your username and password you used to register for the run. (Same Username and password you used to register for this virtual run/walk).
2) Go to your Participant Dashboard.
3) In the bottom right there is a box called FUNDRAISING. Click the button called EDIT PAGE. This is where you would add your own personal story -- scroll down and Save Changes (if you leave this blank, our default message about Gilda’s Club will still populate).
4) Go back to the FUNDRAISING box and send your page out to your contacts 1 of 3 ways: you’ll see icons for Facebook, Twitter, or eMail. If you are doing it by email, click on the envelope and it will provide you with the link to your personal fundraising page. From there you have 2 choices: A) You can cut and paste the link in an email to your contacts. B) You can input your contacts manually into the name and email fields and it will send your message and page out to all those you input there. In the box that says:
Enter message (optional), this acts as your cover email. Feel free to cut and paste the following copy in there:
I am participating this year’s Virtual Scotiabank Run and Charity Challenge for Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto, a cancer support organization. This year has been a particularly difficult year for Gilda’s Club as all fundraising events were cancelled due to COVID-19 and they don’t receive government funding for their cancer support groups and programs. They have done a great job transitioning their cancer support groups and programs to virtual formats and by supporting me in this event, you are helping Gilda’s Club continue to provide these groups and programs free of charge to those living with cancer and those bereaved from the loss of a loved one to cancer. These supportive programs are crucial to individuals and families who are coping with the anxiety and fear brought on by COVID-19 and the added challenge of cancer in their lives. Although Gilda’s Club has temporarily closed their red doors, members are still able to participate in online support groups, exercise classes, nutrition showcases and other programs that are essential for their wellbeing. Their team of mental health professionals also continue to connect with the children, teens and adults we serve, providing support by phone, to relieve stress, reduce isolation and provide resources to navigate today's ever changing healthcare landscape. Please consider supporting me in this event. Thank you.
Thanks so much and remember we are here for you for any questions or support you may need to register.
Manager, Development & Stewardship
Gilda's Club Greater Toronto
416-214-9898 ext. 205
GIlda's Club Greater Toronto
416-214-9898 ext. 219